Thursday, December 29, 2011

all i want for christmas is 2012.

If you are one of my four blog readers, you probably know that I have a weakness for TV shows that may rot my brain.  Along with that comes a love for bad girlie movies.  I'm grown and I just want to be a little mermaid, what more can you expect?

I was literally counting down days when Valentine's Day came out just about two years ago.  If that movie magic wasn't enough, they just had to go and do it again.  Along came New Year's Eve and I was all up on that jam. Any movie with that many celebrities is just too much for me to pass up.  (And can we talk about how I swear that Joey from NKOTB had a cameo as the groom in that wedding scene?  I won't mention how obsessing over this fact caused me to dream a NKOTB dream or anything.  I mean, it's not like I had a Joey man-barbie and a mean mother that wouldn't let me get a matching sleeping bag)

So what if I almost cried about 5 times over the course of the movie?  So what if I now want to make tiny desserts and throw them to my guests via parachutes?  No matter how many crazy emotions this movie made me feel or no matter how many wacky ideas it mushed into my brain, I actually left the theater with a tiny bit of wisdom.  And that's something that rarely happens when I watch Toddlers & Terribles.  (See what I just did there.  That's clever)

Not to ruin the movie, but one of the characters (played by Hillary Swank) is in charge of ruining the New Year's Ball Drop in Times Square every year.  Where was that major when I was in college, I don't know.  Hillary's character faces quite the pickle when the ball freezes as it was being raised into the sky on the big night.  As her team rushes into action, she throws a little impromptu press conference and knocks out this speech to reassure the american public about the ball disaster. (Because we all know the world doesn't need another reason to hate on Ryan Seacrest.)

"...It's suspended there to remind us before we pop the champagne and celebrate the new year, to stop and reflect on the year that has gone by. To  remember both our triumphs and  our missteps, our promises made and broken. The times we opened ourselves up to great adventures or closed ourselves down for fear of getting hurt because that is what new years is all about- getting another chance. A chance to forgive, to do better, to do more, to give more, to love more. And stop worrying about what if and start embracing what would be. So when that ball drops at midnight and it will drop, let's remember to be nice to each other, kind to each other. And not just tonight but all year long.."

I don't think I could have blogged it better myself.  As I prepare to kick 2011 right out the window, I'm pausing to remember how important it is to be grateful.  I'm grateful for another year & another chance.  And who cares if it took a stupid movie to hit that idea home.  I mean, Hillary Swank hasn't won an Oscar for nothing.

xoxo,
j

No comments:

Post a Comment