Sunday, May 6, 2012

grown up

I'm sure y'all know that scene from Old School-"...we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time..."  Somewhere along the way, just like Frank and his errands, I became a grown up.

Take this morning for instance, a perfectly good Sunday morning.  I awoke at 7:30 AM, without an alarm clock, because apparently that's when old people woke up.  I then did the responsible thing by feeding my dogs as well as taking them to the dog park.  After that, I came home and got cleaned up.  The boy and I had a little morning of picking out plants at the Home Depot and then enjoyed brunch together before I went to work.

Let's flash backwards a couple of years.  Sunday mornings were quite different.  I would probably sleep until noon like the princess I was.  I surely didn't have dogs to awaken me from my beauty sleep.  My day would probably start with some kind of meal, most likely with friends, and perhaps in some sort of attire that I had gone out in the night before.

I struggle a lot with this new found sense of "being a grown up."  I'm soon to be married and I would absolutely hate it if I became one of  those married couples.  You know, the ones that you can never drag out of the house, the ones that always have some DIY project taking up their weekends, the ones that just seemed to have plumb forgotten what it was like to be fun.

I want to keep the fun alive in my life and in my relationship with the boy.   I think what is most important to me now is finding a balance in it all.  A way to be fun and a responsible adult at the same time.  You know, instead of being some old grandma who comes home every night at 6:30 PM and puts her pajamas on.   I think part of my quest for balance will involve me letting go of a lot of the things that I think I should be doing.  For example, the house probably should be cleaned on my day off from work, but that doesn't mean that I need to.  Sometimes it's just a lot more fun to throw responsibility to the ground.  



xoxox,
j


No comments:

Post a Comment